Working a 9-5 desk job requires sitting on a chair for most of the day, and this can often result in both overall body pain and backache. Spending a lot of time sitting on a regular office chair can cause stress on the lower back and subsequently lead to bad posture. If you do spend a lot of time sitting at your desk, and want to avoid severe back problems, it’s worth investing in an ergonomic chair that both supports the lower back and promotes good posture.
An ergonomic chair is specifically designed to provide comfort while maintaining correct posture and supporting the lower back during long and tedious work hours. It usually has adjustable features to suit every individual’s requirements. An ergonomic chair must suit the individual’s body, their workstation, and it should be suitable for the kind of tasks that the user performs.
Features of an Ergonomic Chair:
- An ergonomic chair’s seat height must be easily adjustable.
- The seat of the chair should have enough width and depth to support any user comfortably. The standard width is 17 to 20 inches, and the depth should be sufficient for the user to sit comfortably with their back against the backrest.
- The forward and backward tilt of the chair should be adjustable.
- An ergonomic chair must offer good lumbar support.
- It should have a 12 to19 inches wide backrest, which must also be adjustable.
- The seat should have enough padding and should be comfortable enough to sit on it for long hours.
- It should also have adjustable armrests that can be modified according to the height of the user.
- It should have rotating wheels to allow the user easy access in all directions.
Benefits of an Ergonomic Chair:
- An ergonomic chair offers support to your body while sitting.
- It helps to maintain proper body posture and thus prevents body pain.
- It offers good lumbar support and thus reduces the risk of back pain.
- It has a good seat depth which reduces pressure on the user’s hip.
- It is adjustable according to the user’s height thereby providing extra comfort for the user.
With many of us spending long hours at our desks, ergonomic chairs continue to grow in popularity. Compared to normal office chairs, ergonomic chairs offer numerous health benefits, thereby making it a wise investment for both office and remote workers across the country.